Monday, September 5, 2011

Obstacle Five: The Mud Mile

It's been awhile since I wrote in this series, so just to keep you updated:

The last thing we did was Chernobyl Jacuzzi. It's about 230 bags of ice dumped in a bin, colored some ferocious color, and constructed in a way that you have to go under an obstacle within the bin so that you stay under water for a second. See my post on it for clarification.

After we get out of that cold hell (remember its going to be cold at the event, too--more on that later), we then head to The Mud Mile. The Tough Mudder website describes this obstacle as 'energy zapping trademark Tough Mudder thick mud' and a maze of trenches. I'm a visual kinda guy so that description didn't mean a whole lot to me. So, as always, I YouTubed it...


So...observations:
1) The dude in the blue shirt is way too happy. He needs someone to kick him in the balls just to make him angry for being in this crap.
2) The chick in the pink tights and orange shirt is an idiot. Who wears crap like that to this? And get in the mud, lady. Quit walking around it. This isnt the Walk for Dogs 5K or whatever. You paid to get dirty--so do it.
3) I ain't running through this obstacle. If you watched this to the end, you can see that its long. It's next to some kind of drag strip, so using my trained investigator senses, I'm guessing it at a quarter mile. That much mud and water will KILL your quads. And this is just the 5th obstacle. So, I'm thinking that I need to do more quad work.

Oh, yea. Weather. I looked up the weather for last year on this date. The low was 26 degrees. The high was 42. If this year is the same as last year, I'm thinking that the 11am wave will see start temps around 36 degrees. That, my friends, is brutal--especially when you consider all of the ice that's already involved in completing this. I gotta figure out how to train for that--maybe one of my neighbors will spray me with ice water when I'm running by.

I'm crazy. Why did I decide to do this again?

3 comments:

  1. ummmmm, no idea (well maybe the 40 thing) but good luck dawg! maybe lil ben and I will come down to cheer you on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prepare to wear purple, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did I decide to do this again?

    Prolly cuz you were drunk, and after a night of hanging out at Bahama Breeze and go-kartin...and chukkin bottles from a balcony....you came up with the dumbzz idea.

    ReplyDelete