Monday, September 5, 2011

Training Update: In Labor (Day)

Greetings, y'all...if anyone is even still reading this thing.

Today is Labor Day and I realized that I haven't posted anything in like 2 weeks. C'mon, I've been busy with...well, OK, I'll be honest. Football season started and Madden 2012 came out. That is enough to make any guy lose concentration from a silly blog.

My weight continues to hover between 212 and 218, depending on how much protein I've consumed in the past few days. The beginning of football season seriously set me back a few days as I slipped and fell into my favorite wing joint (Just Wingin' It in Franklin), downed some alcohol with the band last night, and also accidently ate some fried chicken last week (no, mom, it wasnt as good as yours).

However, I do have some pretty major training modifications to report and monitor. I've stopped doing the entire P90X workout. As the date for the Mudder gets closer, I've been talking to more and more people about the battle plan--and theres things that P90X doesnt address in that plan to the level that I need. For example, I dont think that P90X is concentrating enough on the major muscles that we're going to be using for the race (lats, shoulders, and traps). Dont get me wrong, it is an AMAZING workout that did a great job of taking me from a 265 pound blob o' fat to...well a 215 pound guy, but I need to turn the corner and start concentrating on race-specific training. In exchange for stopping Doc Horton's Hell on DVD, I've joined a local gym. I chose Anytime Fitness because they're in every city that I travel to and I can workout wherever I go. So far, so good--well other than a majorly pulled muscle in the base of my neck last week. It's almost healed, I think (thanks for saving my life, Darla, if you happen to read this).

As far as training runs, I'm consistently (2-3 times per week) running the Tracy Trail that goes from the Summerfield area to Smith Valley. It's a great run with some hills and scenery other than my neighborhood. Speaking purely from a viewpoint of cardio, I'm in the best shape of my life--even better than when I was in the police academy when we ran every day. I've been doing some reading on incorporating windsprints into my routine and am going to add that next week.

In addition to my injury, the whole team is ailing to some extent. One guy went down with a serious foot injury last week (involving stitches--he's on Injured Reserve for 3 weeks), and one guy had a serious infection that involved some kind of cocktail of anti-biotics. Hey, whatever--I told him to stay out of Thailand. None of our ailments are serious and I'm sure we'll be back on track soon.

I received the final copy of the Team Swelled and Purple logo and will post it on my next post. I'd like to thank the amazing staff at Vertigo Graphics for taking the time to it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment