OK, hear me out.
I've always been into motivational quotes. Not stuff like 'the early bird gets the worm' or crap like that. More like...'if you were leading soldiers into battle, and knew that half of them were not going to live to see their families because they were defending the altar of freedom, what would you say to them' kinda quotes. Quotes that were taken at a very dire time, that people drew inspiration from to go out and take care of whatever the task at hand was. You know, truly motivational quotes. Thought I'd share a few of my favorites on here...
"I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!"
-General Dwight D. Eisenhower in his address to troops just before the D-Day invasion
"There are some who are alive at this moment who will not be alive shortly. Those who do not wish to go on that journey, we will not send. As for the others I expect you to rock their world. Wipe them out if that is what they choose. But if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory."
-Colonel Tim Collins, British Army, on the eve of the invasion of Iraq, 2003
(I highly recommend reading this full speech; it gives me chills every time I read it)
'I don't want to get any messages saying, "I am holding my position." We are not holding a Goddamned thing. Let the Germans do that. We are advancing constantly and we are not interested in holding onto anything, except the enemy's balls.'
-General George Patton, June 5, 1944
"I'll tell you this: in any fight it is the guy who is willing to die who is going to win that inch. And I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch because that is what LIVING is. The six inches in front of your face."
-Al Pacino from Any Given Sunday
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and have instilled in him a terrible resolve" (OK, its not a motivational quote but its still pretty badass)
-Admiral Yamamoto, Japanese Navy, December 8, 1941
"Those who cannot bravely face danger are the slaves of their attackers"
-Aristotle
"Nobody ever drowned in sweat"
-USMC
"Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war."
-General George Patton (again)
Hell, maybe I should just rename this post as the General Patton post. I never knew that the guy had so many great things to say until I started researching him for this post. What a fricking great man.
Sometimes I draw on these when I'm dragging ass and don't feel like working out today. I know its a little hokey, but it works, at least for me.
Feel free to comment with your favorite below.
No comments:
Post a Comment